The chimney at Tibberton was a landmark in this place. The paper mill was set up in 1850 and closed in 1912.
The Mill chimney is on the left in this photo. The road shown in this photo is The Avenue and is now called London Road. The Chimney was demolished in October 1932. The Headteacher of the local school allowed the School children to view the Chimney just as it was about to fall.
The chimney destroyed was not the first chimney, the previous blew down in 1862 in a gale. Their were victims from this event a newly married couple living in Mill Cottages. They were struck dead in bed.
The owner of the Paper mill was Martin Billings who lived at Meeson Hall.
The Felling of Tibberton’s paper mill chimney is the last photo on October 23 1932. The church is shown in the distance.
Sources – information from Changing Village by Jim Barker.